You're Going Where?

Saturday, July 02, 2005

Maybe if I sit on it...

I decided when I woke up this morning that today was the day to pack. So I dragged out my luggage options: an enormous rolling duffel, a big framed camping backpack, and an ordinary bookbag. I'd made a general packing list and I'd done my shopping, so I started pulling things out of their usual storage spaces and making a pile on the floor. The pile, once fully gathered, seemed reasonably small. I honestly thought that I could fit everything into the framed backpack, like the study abroad program recommended.

Once I'd packed about two-thirds of my stuff into the backpack, I realized there was no way I'd get the rest into the bag. Then I had a stroke of genius: put the backpack INTO the duffel, then just take the duffel! "AHA!" I thought, "This will be wonderful, I'll have extra space!" So, I started packing everything into the duffel. I tried to get it all in, I really did. But with the tennis racket and the sleeping bag and the framed backpack and all the winter and summer clothes and shoes and stuff, it just wasn't possible. I tried shaking the bag, picking it up and dropping it repeatedly, taking everything out and refolding it, but to no avail.

I finally gave in and accepted the idea of taking TWO checked bags. So now, instead of one checked bag and my bookbag, I'm taking my bookbag, my huge duffel and a much smaller duffel that will hold just my sleeping bag and Howard. I'm determined to be able to carry all of my stuff on my own (plus it's a requirement of the program) so I'm going to be wandering around the Cape Town Airport lugging all of this stuff and generally looking like one of those horrible people who overpacks for every trip. At least I'm not pushing the weight limit for baggage.

New poll: I need to pick a couple of books, a few CDs, and some snacks to take in my carry-on for the flight. Please, lend me your suggestions! (Put them in the comments below)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home