You're Going Where?

Saturday, July 30, 2005

The Tigers Ate My Homework

I went to see Botswanan dancing earlier this week. It reminded me of an ASP Culture Night or one of the country presentations at a CISV village. The students in the Botswana Society, all citizens of Botswana in Cape Town for various reasons, wore traditional Botswanan dress and performed songs and dances from their country. The songs were all sung a capella with lots of clapping. The dancing was incredibly cool, combining stepping, stomping, and tapping their feet with different leanings, postures, and arm movements, all perfectly in rhythm with the singing. I felt it was very generous and kind of the students to share their traditions and heritage with others like that, not to mention it was an experience I definitely wouldn't have had in the States.

Rugby is HUGE in South Africa. I went to see my first rugby game last night (Western Province vs. Griqua). Rugby is sort of a mix of American football and soccer, only much more violent and involving fewer/no protective pads of any sort. I had the good fortune of sitting beside a guy who plays club rugby at his school, so he explained the finer points of the game to me, like the meaning of rucks and scrums, and how the scoring of tries and field goals and conversions works. Definitely an educational experience. Enough rugby might almost make up for the fact that I'm missing most of football season.

I went to the Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens today, which were beautiful. The gardens have a huge range of plants, including trees, bushes, ferns, mosses, and flowers. There was a fragrance path, a path designed for the blind that featured braille signs and lots of textured and scented plants, a path that showed particularly useful plants, a wetland area, and a section that featured dry-climate plants from South Africa. While I might have found a botanical garden in the U.S. less interesting, the plants were things I'd never seen before since most were native to Africa and prevalent only in warmer climates. The garden itself is set on the side of Table Mountain and affords beautiful views of the mountain and the city. I was amazed to wander through the garden and see all the wonderfully diverse and beautiful things God has created!

My favorite sign in the garden: "The aromatic lemon bush is rubbed on the skin to protect against dogs and crocodiles."

2 Comments:

  • I am glad to see you are getting reports on morning worship. The piece that LeAnne sang, by Deb, was wonderful and I hope to have a repeat when we move back upstairs. I can let youknow and you can listen to it on the web (WONB) if you have access to a computer with speakers. And, Charlotte's prelude the other day was wonderful. I recognized it as she was playing it. The music we boughtr her actually came from a little gift shop that was prt of the church that John Wesleybuilt in Bristol, England. You might be interested to know that Charlotte has turned in her resignation effective the end of the month. She has moved a bit further away after their property got too much to care for. And, her grandkids are at an age to be more interesting and she wants the freedom to se them more.
    (On a similar note, our first grandchild - Marie - arrives for a visit next Saturday. She will bring her mommy and daddy with her. )
    The SAEP experience will be wonderful for you. Keep your expectations realistic; let the kids know that you are a person who can laugh easy (as you can); and let them be natural with you.
    I hope you are keeping all of your blogs; or maybe the blogpage will keep the totality of your writing for some level of eternity till you get all your papers and projects finished. Would it be ok with you if we put some up on the church bulletin board??
    We look forward to some photos also.
    I would have enjoyed the worship service you experienced. It is an experience to be a minority person in a group that more of us white folks should have.
    Love, and love well,
    Wayne A.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:26 PM  

  • Lauren,
    What a wonderful experience to see native dance and dress, also the botanical garden. I would have been very interested in the area for the blind. Wanted to see a floral garden of that type when I was at Niagara Falls but was unable to. Maybe another time I will experience that type of a garden. Enjoy the rugby. I'm sure your Dad will keep you updated on the football season.
    Wanda

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home