You're Going Where?

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Rain, rain, go away...

Walking around over the last few days I've been reminded of the monologue from Forrest Gump about the different kinds of rain in Vietnam. Forrest goes on about "big, ol' fat rain, stinging rain, rain that blew in sideways..." and I'm beginning to understand what he means now that I've seen Western Cape's rainy season. It has been incredibly cloudy, cool, windy, and rainy here for the last few days. The problem with rain here, though, is that it always comes with wind, which makes umbrellas completely useless. If you try to use an umbrella, the buffeting winds will blow the umbrella inside out repeatedly until you eventually surrender and put the object away.

The nice thing about the rain, though, is that it has a sort of unifying effect on all the people on campus. Rain, of course, falls the same on everyone. So the people who are ordinarily fashion plates have hair and clothes just as soggy and rumpled as those of us who simply grab the first clean thing out of the closet. It also brings people together in our huddling under the eves of buildings and in doorways. There are clusters of people everywehre and it is suddenly simple to start a conversation with something like, "Lovely weather we're having, eh?" I walked all the way down from Upper Campus today with someone I barely know and we had a lovely conversation, which probably wouldn't have happened on a warm sunny day when people can wait around for people they already know to emerge from buildings.

Something about rain always makes me want to accomplish things. I feel as though since I'm inside I must get things done. Today I went and found out how to check out books from the Short Loan desk at the library and put Rand on my print quota so I'll be able to print papers and such. Not to mention that it's much easier to accept sitting inside and reading texts for class when it's impossible to go out and do something else.

Now I'm off to trudge through the rain to get home and have some toast and curl up with a book.

3 Comments:

  • Don't forget Trent and Kathy said the rainy season should end pretty soon. Makes study easier I know. Wish you would send some this way 102 degrees in St. Peters today.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:14 PM  

  • It hailed in Italy. . .that was bizarre. What you said about rain falling on everyone in the same way reminded me of an old Smashing Pumpkins song. Sorry it took me so long to get over to this site. French keyboards confused me enough to make me want to spend as little time online as possible. But now that I am home I will be much better! It sounds like South Africa has been quite the adventure already...an old prison, hamlet, jenga. . .quite awesome. I'm really going to miss you this fall, but I know you'll be having an amazing time. It's weird, I move back to CoMo in a week and a half. Did you read the new Harry Potter book yet? I can't wait to read the 7th now. . .
    I heart you!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:31 PM  

  • Dear lauren,

    Enjoyed reading your blog comments. I remember going to classes on the 4th of July when I (Fern) was in Peru in their winter of'66. We saved a copy of Ed Williams' funeral service. It was 2 hours and 15 minutes long but very moving. Lots of stories, music and 2 standing ovations for Ed.
    Tomomrrow night your mom and I (Wayne) are going to candlelight for Adam Lusk on a Chrysalis flight. It has been nice to read your blogs. I shall be interested in your two classes on religion and their realted topics, and on what texts you use.
    I am curious - in your house of 15 folks - do you cook and eat there, adn ever together, or go out a lot. Our son, Aaron, found an Indian restaurant when he studied in London. He felt they had the largest quantity ofdesirable food for the most reasonable price. He went there so much that they would know what to serve him when he walked in.
    We will put your address in the SOWER.
    Are you taking pictures?
    Love, and love well,
    Fern and Wayne

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home