You're Going Where?

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

To be or not to be...

Hamlet last night was really good. Claudius was played by a Tony-award-winner and the rest of the cast was amazing. It was a fascinating performance in that the actors were dressed like modern South Africans, with the guards carrying machine guns rather than swords. Talk about a unique performance.

I'm now officially registered for class at the "varsity" here. I'm in 14 hours, which is actually only 3 classes: two four-hour classes and a six-hour class. It was actually quite a painless and reasonably quick processs, considering that nothing in the process is computerized and it all involves waiting in "Qeues" (sp?). I also got an ID card, which means yet another helpful piece of plastic that features a terrible picture of me on its surface.

I've been going through weird waves of homesickness since I've been here. It's a bizarre experience. I'm fine when I'm with people in low-stress situations. But when I get lonely or upset by my surroundings, I get abnormally bothered by it, suddenly feel homesick, and have, on several occasions, nearly burst into tears. It's really hard to handle because I'm never sure when I'll be fine or upset. For instance, when one of the computer technicians in the library insisted I stop using the computer for "personal e-mailing", then told me off loudly in front of the entire population of the computer lab, I nearly started crying. But I'll be fine an hour later when I'm having lunch with my "digsmates". It's a very strange reality.

At the moment I'm chilling in an internet cafe with a huge crowd of people. Apparently we picked the busy time of day. Then it's off for some school shopping and I know not what. Cheers!

1 Comments:

  • Lauren,
    Hope the homesickness has lessened. I imagine it has. I also imagine when it comes time to come home, you will come with mixed emotions as you leave new friends and exciting times behind. I will pray the homesickness becomes manageable.
    Wanda

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home