You're Going Where?

Thursday, August 04, 2005

Fences

Walking down the streets in Cape Town you see endless walls and security fences. Every single house has an enormous wall or a giant wrought iron fence or a hedge with a chain-link fence in the middle. The walls and fences are all topped with metal spikes or barbed wire or razor wire. In the U.S. this type of security would only be around military compounds and high-voltage power stations, but here it's around every house. While I realize that the purpose is to keep thieves out, it seems like more of a social barrier than anything. It's as though the people with money are trying to insulate themselves against the outside world. They stay inside surrounded by huge walls and fences so they don't have to look at the poverty and need outside. Surrounded by fences and barbed wire you begin to feel as though you're living in a prison rather than a house. All the wealthy people living in their gilded, barbed wire cages.

I can't discount the value of security, though. Four people from my program have been mugged since we've been here. A woman was mugged a few days ago as she was walking the same route that I walk two days a week to go work at SAEP. Beggars come to our gate several times a week asking for money or food and I walk past homeless people on the way to the grocery store and the restaurants in my neighborhood. It's just sad that socio-economic conditions here are so stratified that these situations occur.

3 Comments:

  • This is culture shock for you. I can't imagine living that way. There are those in the US living on both sides minus the wires. It is just not as visible to most of us as it is there.
    You must learn to be cautious when out and about. Daniel had to learn that in Cincinnati. I remember telling him one time when I came down, I would do his laundry. He told me no, as the area was too dangerous. And I was supposed to be comfortable with him there.
    I enjoyed reading about your work with the children. It will be so much fun and rewarding as well. I can see you playing with them. I hope you have an opportunity to take pictures of you with the children.
    Have a great day.
    Wanda

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:06 PM  

  • One of the purposes of apartheid was to keep things as they were. At least now some of the downtrodden may have some hope.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:15 PM  

  • This reminds me of Peru where we were recently, and Israel - where there are other reasons besides poverty for razor wire and such. I suppose that one could make the analogy that in a place of such divisively-taken religious differences, that one has fences and barbed wire because one is afraid that one's religion might be stolen just as one's money.
    And, just to give you an image for the day: the sunflowers along the drive one block south of your house are doing very well this year. WFA

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home