You're Going Where?

Monday, October 17, 2005

Liminality...

Since last I wrote, I have:
Finished classes for the semester,
Turned in two papers,
Written my last paper of the semester,
Basked in the springtime sunlight,
Begun planning registration for my last semester of college, and
Caught a cold. *sniffle*

Now I have entered the bizarre liminal period known as "study week". I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing during this week. The obvious answer, I know, is "study", but I don't actually start exams for two weeks and I can't bring myself to start studying this early. The South African students tell me that this week is for partying, but I don't do much of that either. So, instead, I'm traveling.

Tomorrow I depart on a crazy hiking/backpacking/busing/beach bumming trip along the southern coast with another American student. I'm not sure what the trip will bring, but I know it will be an adventure. Hopefully I'll come back relaxed and rejuvinated so that I can use the first week of "exams", during which I have no exams, to start studying for the exams that will eventually come.

For now, I must go to a review session, do a little shopping, and start packing for this grand and glorious adventure. Look out for a full report on my trip in about a week.

3 Comments:

  • Have a great time! Love,
    Angie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:14 AM  

  • That you know the word "liminal" AND that you can use it properly in a sentence leaves me speechless (almost ;-) ) and in awe. I didn't learn the word until seminary, and didn't learn how to use it until I was in the parish!

    I was thinking about you today as I drove back through the peak of fall btween Jeff and Columbia. I look forward to hearing what you learn, expereince and understand differently after being in the liminal moment(s) that life gives us all.
    My best,
    Rev. Sarah

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:37 PM  

  • I will also have to comment on your use of "liminal", but only to say that it rivals "assert" as one of your favorite words to type ;-). I hope your trip's going really well. Come home soon! I miss you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home