You're Going Where?

Friday, August 05, 2005

Power Troubles

All of my classes for today were cancelled because power is out on most of Upper Campus. I don't have any idea why the power failed, all I know is that the electricity went off in the buildings where I have my classes. It's a rather cloudy day, so it was too dark in the rooms to have class. As I was discussing this with some of my classmates, one girl said, "This is so third world!" as she began sending a text message on her cell phone. I thought about it for a minute, then disagreed. "Third world" would be not having power at all, and she'd have a rock in her hand instead of a phone.

The situation reminded me of the power outages a few years ago on the east coast of the U.S. To name a more recent example, I could point to my home town in January of this year when a huge ice storm knocked out power for several days. Power outages often occur in the U.S., albeit usually caused by natural disasters of various sorts.

While I don't find this power outage strange, I do find the South African power system a little... quirky. In many areas of Cape Town, power is prepaid. You put Rand in for your power, then when the money runs out your power shuts off immediately. Some homes have the U.S.-style billing, but the prepay system has been implemented to keep people from getting into debt. Cell phones work the same way: you purchase minutes and enter them into your phone, then when they run out you lose the ability to make outgoing calls until you purchase more minutes.

This left me with a really amusing image: the University on prepaid power. I can just imagine classrooms full of students during finals week and all of a sudden the Rand runs out on the University account and everyone is plunged into darkness mid-essay. A University employee, probably somebody in lower-level administration, is then seen running down the mountain toward the local gas station to put more Rand on the University account. I'm sure that isn't the way it actually works, but I really like the image!

5 Comments:

  • I love the idea of a university lackey sprinting to a gas station. It's too bad MU has its own power plant, so this won't happen to us. On the plus side, the plant adds wonderful scenery along the path to Twain, and a place to get rained on no matter what the weather!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:44 AM  

  • I love your sense of humor!!! I wish you had been here Wed when I got to work & found my hard drive had crashed. My boss was gone for the day and we had a service man coming to install some other new equipment (not a hard drive however). I had to switch back and forth between 2 computers depending on which one he was working on. I didn't have access to My Documents and had to carry needed items from my desk with me to handle the job. VERY inconvenient. I could have used your sense of humor. Today they got my hard drive replaced. I am now left with getting all my settings the way I want them. They do not backup our Internet Favorites, so I am trying to rebuild those as I remember what I had saved. Lucky for me I had your blog address in my purse. I will have to get my nephews & neices from someone. I have been told I can backup my favorites. I need to find out how.
    Hope you have a great weekend and that you do not loose power to your home.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:56 PM  

  • I particularly noticed your classmate's arrogance. Perhaps she should be thankful for being born in the United States rather than looking down on South Africa for what they don't have.

    Dad

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:54 AM  

  • "'Third world' would be not having power at all, and she'd have a rock in her hand instead of a phone."

    Lobenhofer, I don't tell you this often enough, but I love you.

    By Blogger CSP, at 10:16 AM  

  • Power outages certainly aren't restricted to "third-world" areas. Thunder storms Thursday night took down several trees in my neighborhood as well as all our power for 12-15 hours. The result for me was a 20 minute trip that took 1 hour -- I just didn't have all the alternative routes around the trees down pat -- and some spoiled milk. I guess I should be happy that was the only thing in the refrigerator that didn't make it. I think we do get so used to the luxuries of our society that we forget what it is like not to have them.

    I do, however, like your image of the university flunky going to the gas station to add some more minutes to the university's power. Can we borrow him at GSU? Our power has had some issues lately.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home