You're Going Where?

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Pictures of Poverty

I've mentioned my work with SAEP in previous posts, but last week I finally got my pictures developed from the day I took my camera to the creche with me. Below are some of the photos from the creche where I've been working for the last four months.


Zamukhanyo Educare, the creche where I have been working, cares for 75-100 children, ages 0-6, each day.


We taught the children to play "Duck, Duck, Goose" on one of our first visits and it soon became one of their favorite activities.


There are only 4 staff members who oversee the children on a daily basis, so things can get a bit chaotic. This staff member is taking a well-deserved moment to rest!


Whites rarely go into the townships for safety reasons, so the children were fascinated by their visitors. That’s actually me in the center of the picture, surrounded by children who are investigating my hair.


The children press in, all eager to be in the picture.


Esther, Kirema, and I enjoyed the kid’s attention and affection.


Ernestina, Kirema, Esther, and I (back, from left) pose with the children. The woman in the front is the principal of the creche, Nubuntu.

I have now completed my capstone and finished my period of volunteering at Zamukhanyo. Still, these images and the lessons I learn will remain with me.

2 Comments:

  • The children look delightful. I was struck with how similar the expressions are with the children Christopher worked with at day camp. It only proves that children (and people) everywhere are the same, just the circumstances are different. Look forward to seeing you soon.

    Mary

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:43 PM  

  • Lauren,
    I am touched by the smiles on the faces of the children. These children have so little (things) compared to children in this country. I am reminded how far love, clothing, food and a roof go towards making one happy. It will be good to share with you on Thanksgiving.
    Wanda

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home