You're Going Where?

Monday, February 13, 2006

Home for the Weekend

I go to school approximately nine hours away from my hometown, so I had never done the traditional going-home-for-the-weekend thing that many college students do. Last weekend, however, I finally got to understand this phenomenon. Finally now, during my last semester of undergraduate work, I got to drive home for a weekend. Now I finally understand the draw of this behavior.

There is something incredibly relaxing about just being at home. There's a feeling of being cared for by your parents, even though you're an adult. You get to see people without having to worry about the holiday rush. In addition, people largely don't expect you to be home and you're not there for very long, so there are very few obligations that must be met. Why couldn't I have discovered this sooner?

During my visit I went to see some friends perform at the high school Solo and Ensemble contest. I don't think I've felt quite that old in recent memory. I realized that it has been four full years since I performed in the contest, and kids that I remember being tiny are now performing as seniors in high school. This aging thing really MUST be stopped...

4 Comments:

  • I never got to experience the home for a weekend phenomenon during college, so it is interesting to hear your take on it. In a way I do get to experience that relaxation of being home now that I'm back in Colorado and not too far from my parents. During the summer I spend a lot of weekends with them and during the rest of the year, I probably spend about one weekend a month at their house.

    By Blogger Angie, at 4:18 PM  

  • I haven't been home for the weekend either, but it sounds tempting. But serwiously. . you aren't old ;)
    KJ

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:58 AM  

  • When you figure out how to stop the aging, let me know. What an exciting 4 years you have had. Enjoy the last couple of months you have there with your friends. I am looking forward to finding out where you will spend your next few years. Have a great weekend.

    Wanda

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:51 AM  

  • Haven't been home for the weekend for quite some time. interesting perspective you have there.

    By Anonymous martin, at 10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home